Monday, June 11, 2012

Recently I've been getting a healthy dose of 1920s. I read the Great Gatsby a few months ago and fell in love with it, its writing is a delight and the story had me captivated. Lucky me, I hadn't seen the movie before so everything was a surprise, but now I want to see it (especially because of the clothes because I can't really imagine how they could've done the book justice), and I'm totally looking forward to see the new one from director Bez Luhrmann starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan. Since I loved the Great Gatsby so much I started reading The Beautiful and Damned, and will continue to read Tender is the Night, Scott Fitzgerald is rapidly climbing positions in my favorite writers list. 
Recientemente he estado viendo muchas cosas que tienen que ver con los años veintes. Primero leí the Great Gatsby hace unos meses y me enamoré. Me encanta como escribe Scott Fitzgerald y la historia me cautivó, por suerte no había visto la película entonces la historia me sorprendió como debía. Ahora quiero ver la película (más que nada para ver los disfraces porque no creo que puedan transmitir la historia como se debe... aunque quien sabe quizas me equivoco), y tengo mucha ilusión de ver la nueva que va a salir del director Bez Luhrmann, con Leonardo DiCaprio y Carey Mulligan. Desde que leí the Great Gatsby me quedé con ganas de seguir leyendo cosas de Fitzgerald así que ahora estoy leyendo The Beautiful and Damned y voy a seguir con Tender is the Night, poco a poco Scott esta subiendo en mi lista de escritores preferidos :)
Fitzgerald art deco book Covers 

After that my mom and I started watching Boardwalk Empire (created by Terrence Winter, produced by Tim Van Patten!! and Martin Scorsese, starring Steve Buscemi and Michael Pitt), and it has two of my favorite things, it's a period piece and mafia! And I am dying to watch Downton Abbey too.
All this long explanation was just to say that I have 1920s on my mind. 
Y después de eso mi mamá y yo empezamos a ver Boardwalk Empire (creado por Terrence Winter, producido por Tim Van Patten!! y  Martin Scorsese, con las actuaciones de Steve Buscemi and Michael Pitt) que tiene dos de mis cosas favoritas, es de época y es de mafia. Y ahora muero por ver Downton Abbey!! Así que resumiendo, estoy pensando mucho en los años 20s. 

Mia Farrow as Daisy Buchanan, 1974.

 Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan, 2012 
I love her hat!
Amo su sombrero :) 

Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald

 
The streets of Colorado en 1920. I love that everyone is wearing a hat, we should bring hats back. I saw a very old movie and the lead character runs goes out in a hurry and two ladies comment "It must have been an emergency, he didn't even take his hat!", nowadays people can go out without a shirt and nobody thinks it's an emergency. Those were the good old days, when getting dressed mattered.
Las calles de colorado en 1920. Me gusta que todos estan usando sombreros, deberíamos de volver a usar sombreros. Vi una película muy vieja en la que el protagonista sale corriendo de la casa y unas señoras comentan "Debe de ser una emergencia ¡Ni siquiera se llevó su sombrero!" Hoy en día la gente puede salir sin camisa y nadie piensa que hubo una emergencia. Esos días eran las buenas épocas en las que a la gente le importaba vestirse bien

 Dior's 2009 fall collection, inspired by flapper girls and using an interpretation of finger waves.


La colección de Dior de otoño 2009, inspirada en las chicas de los años veintes, y reinterpretando el peinado de ondas suaves que se usaba entonces.
 The Beauty Department's Tutorial for 20s period hair.


Vogue 2007, Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington, Photo: Steven Meisel


I hope you found this post inspiring! I'm thinking of incorporating some of the 20s vibe into my look, let's see how that goes :p
Have a great week!
¡Espero que les haya inspirado un poquito este post!  Yo estoy pensando en incorporar un poquito de esto a mi look, a ver si funciona :p
¡Que tengan bonita semana!
-S

3 comments:

  1. Los gloriosos 20's!!

    Es la época que me hubiera gustado vivir, todo ese glamour, la cultura, las artes...

    Estoy enamorada de ese cabello!

    Buen inicio de semana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Absolutamente inspirador! También a mí me ha fascinado siempre esa época.

    Y me has dado ganas de releer a Scott Fitzgerald.

    ReplyDelete
  3. qué linda historia la de los sombreros. he encontrado este blog de casualidad y me parece estupendo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment, we love reading them. Please tell us your thoughts and suggestions! You can also write us at ponycats@gmail.com

Gracias por tomarte el tiempo de dejarnos un comentario, a las dos nos encanta leerlos! Por favor dinos lo que piensas y si tienes sugerencias!
También puedes escribirnos a ponycats@gmail.com